Saturday, May 16, 2015

Reflection

Reflection

Good morning
To the day
To the possibilities
That shine across her eyes

She smiles and says,
"Hey you."
And that's when that small sliver of sunlight
Floods the room and warms my soul

I don't want to get up
I want to stay
To stare
At that new day smile

"Stop it," she says
Cheeks flushed with the richest red
Even if I could
I wouldn't

She is who I want
This new day with her
Is the only kind of day
I could ever want

I want her to smile
I want her eyes to shine
I want her cheeks to flush
I want to be good enough for her

But she isn't there
She isn't smiling, eyes shining
Her cheeks aren't flushed
Because I'm not good enough

So why then does the sun shine?
Why do I smile?
From where does this warmth within flow?
Hope

I have hope in the new day
The possibilities I see
In those eyes
In the mirror

I'm not there yet
I have a ways to go
But I'll make it
And greet that new day saying,
"Good morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment