Monday, April 27, 2015

Pretty, Pretty Girl

Pretty, Pretty Girl

There is no solution
In the falsified imagery
No liberation
In the behind-the-lens secrecy

And yet you are shoved
Behind an image

Images and imaginations

If only they could see
That I love you
For who you are
And who you'll be

One day they'll know
The beauty found solely
Within your soul

There is so much more for you to be
Than be defined by such a word as "pretty"

Pretty, pretty girl
You open the magazine
Turn on the TV
And are told
That you better be pretty

Pretty smile
Pretty hair
Pretty dress
Pretty everywhere
On the surface

But what that cover story won't say
What the networks won't show
Is that you're pretty strong
Pretty smart
Pretty bold

In fact, you are by no small measure these things

If they would demand
A calm, empty smile on the surface
It is because they fear
The mighty ocean that lies beneath

Now if only they could understand
Not to fear
But to embrace the magnificence
Of your potential

For my Mother
For my Sister
For my Grandmothers
For my Aunts, Cousins, and Nieces

For my friends
And for every one of my female students
Who felt wrongfully defined by your physical appearance
For what it's worth, I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. That being said, it's worth a lot. Bless your unbiased eyes, Ben.

    ReplyDelete