Sunday, January 17, 2016

Questions: Reprise

Questions: Reprise

Why couldn't I see
At the time of questioning
That I was asking
The wrong questions?

It is with time
They say
That one heals
But they fail to mention
What that looks like
Beyond a regained smile
And escape from solitude

It is now
With time
That I see the missed target
Was missed
Because I failed to aim at it
In the first place

So, now, I ask
With a healed heart
And clear mind
In serenity of the soul
I ask:

How?
How could I possibly begin
To thank you
For everything you were to me
And for the better person
You helped me be?

Who?
Who ever could have guessed
That this introspective catalyst
Would lead me
To new strength
New hope
New heartbeats?

Why?
Why would I ever expect
That great dreams
Would come without
Much needed wisdom
The kind of wisdom
That comes from the toughest of lessons?

When?
When will the scars fade,
I once asked.
It's now that I understand
Just how much of a paradox
That notion is.
Scars, by their very nature
Never heal, but merely fade
Fade, but never completely
And now I know
That's a beautiful thing.

What?
What is a finish line
But the starting line
For the next great opportunity?

I am grateful
And I always will be
For the questions
To which you gave me the answers

Thank you
For the heartache
And the new rhythm
I dance to
In sync with my dreams

Thank you
For the memories
That will always be
A reason to smile

Thank you
For what once was
And how it will always be
A part of what is

2 comments:

  1. I am not surprised that you still continue to write such beautiful pieces. I don't ever expect you to stop. I'm still looking forward to your work being published! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I actually recently sung that song you helped me write (seriously couldn't have done it without you) back during the summer. I used it as an assignment in my freshmen classes. They like it so much that one class even asked if we could all sing it together before being dismissed for the day. It was such an amazing moment in my teaching career and I thank you and your help with the song for making it possible. I sang it for my seniors as well, as only a few of them had heard it and I blew some minds. I was getting some serious comments for both the lyrics and my singing. All is very well and I hope the same for you :D

      Delete