Monday, February 9, 2015

Losing Sleep

Losing Sleep

Losing sleep
Pen in hand
To the paper
Ink flowing,
Lines filling,
With the emotions
That keep my head spinning,
My heart racing,
My eyes open.

Losing sleep
With my thoughts
To guide me
From stanza to stanza.
As I retreat
Further into my own
Confusion.
My challenge:
To find my way
Not to the exit
But to the center.

It's in that center,
My center.
My balance.
For what thoughts could remove me
From my center?
But of course,
Could only be the thoughts
That one holds in between
The beats of their heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This poem was written for the one, the only, Adriana Alves.  She was gracious enough to allow me to share this with you all.  She is an amazing young woman and I am honored to have had the opportunity to be inspired by her.

Dear Adriana,

Forever and ever, you will hold a place in my poet's soul.  Thank you for what you've done for me and my poetry.

Genuinely,

Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment