Saturday, September 19, 2015

Before I Don't Have Another Chance

Before I Don't Have Another Chance

With arm slowly stretching,
Hesitating for but a moment
At the elbow and knuckles
Finally the palm comes up
And a plea escapes his mouth,

"It isn't much
Really nothing but a broken
Bleeding appendage
That doesn't know the first thing
About holding a heart nor hand
In its empty grasp."

From across the separation
She stands in shock
But she stands determined;
She will hear him out
With their few precious seconds remaining

"All the horrible things I've done
And all the good things I haven't
I can't promise to protect you
With this cowardly monster's hand
I can't guarantee your safety."

She is aware of his past
She is aware of his infamous cowardice,
Savagery, and shame
His hand isn't bleeding;
It's bloody

"I'm no hero
Not then, now, nor will I ever be
But you've shown me
Even the heartless
Can fall in love."

She believes him
But sheds not a single tear
She takes note of the twitch
In his hand,
Struggling to stay open

"I guess, having to guess,
Since hate has been the only thing
I've ever been sure of til now,
I guess that I promise one thing:
I will love you with every last second."

She can't decide
To scream in anger,
Twist in disgust,
Or gaze with pity in her star-bright blues
At this hopeless wreck

"With whatever time I have left
I will love you
I'm not saying that I deserve time
With or without you
Nonetheless, from right here and now I know only that I love you."

With all the demonstrations of power
She had seen
From the earliest of ages
Now she knew that truth and love hold no equals
When brought together

Then, with a flash
And sudden, shaking crash
The world around them is chaos
Shrapnel as sharp as the sword sheathed at her hip
Severs his open hand just below the elbow

He stumbles from both the chaos
And the wound
His final chance severed and gone
He falls and before his vessel explodes
He waves his bloody, bleeding stump

With a faint smile
An absence of joy
She will have burned into her memory
He opens his mouth, uttering,
"Bye."

2 comments:

  1. Might be because I've been watching a lot of FMA-B, but is this an anime poem???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I actually don't know. This is honestly the best way I know how to describe what's happening here:

      So, moving on from the milestone of my 100th poem, I will always carry the moment of sheer appreciation I felt when I posted it. I will forever be grateful for all of the people in my life that have supported and inspired the words that come together to form my poetry. This newest poem is hard to explain; in fact, I have no real idea where it's coming from. I mean, to me it feels like a part of a larger story, but at the same time, it feels like something meant to stand alone. Haha, well, I'm just happy that I can have a moment like the one I had moments ago when I wrote the rough draft of this poem: I sit down and words indent onto the page from the tip of the pen, with a weight both heavy and uplifting, coming from a place I can't explain nor do I feel the need to. It's not about understanding my own poetry, but appreciating that I have been given a gift that has been so generously nurtured by the people in my life who mean so very much to me.

      Delete