Sunday, November 8, 2015

For the Silenced, I Offer Words to Remind You of Your Great Potential

For the Silenced, I Offer Words to Remind You of Your Great Potential

There's no time left
For your loveless lies
Deliberate absentmindedness
And callous carelessness

You've broken your hands
On your watch
And on my face
Until you thought there was nothing left

You live debt free
Because your conscience
Was the first casualty
Of your fear and weakness

Or perhaps you don't deserve
The excuses of a coward
Your burdens were consciously constructed
By your own heartlessness

So now, right now
You look me in the face
Into my eyes
The eyes of someone strong

You just try and say it
Say goodbye
Like you actually care
And know I don't believe you

But more importantly
Know I don't need you
Even more importantly
I won't be you

It is not arrogant
For me to claim
That I am and will always be
Better than you

It is the responsible thing to do
To place upon myself
This goal
To be better

So, on second thought,
Keep your gaze
For the failure in the mirror
I am me

No one can take that
From me
No circumstance can take that
From me

I am still here
I am not hopeless
I am loved
I am inspiring

4 comments:

  1. I've read this poem over quote a few times but I can't figure out who or what this conversation is between. Help me out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is primarily for my students, specifically any of them who have ever felt like they have ever had their voice taken away by the bleak (to put it lightly in some of their cases) circumstances of this all-too-real world. Secondarily, this is for anyone who reads this and feels like they had at some point (past, present, and/or future) had their voice taken away, whether or not they were ever my student.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. It felt like a conversation between selves but that didn't make sense. This does. I appreciate the clarification.

    ReplyDelete