Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015 (A Working Title)

Thanksgiving 2015 (A Working Title)

You never told me
How much you love me
Because from the very first night
It wasn't love
It wasn't true
And you knew
It'd never be... me and you

Take me to the beginning

I wrote the love letters
Held your hand
But it must have been too tight
I guess I should've just texted,
Emojied my feelings,
And clicked like

Bring me to the bridge

We made the memories
Filter free
Just you, me, and the scenery
Too bad we didn't Instagram it
Because now those memories
Reside strictly in my heart and mind

Now, the turn...

You laughed and you smiled
Sharing with this world
Your unspeakably beautiful soul
Thank you for not making for yourself
A life made of Facebook status updates
Thank you for your in-person timeline

Hold my breath

So, you've probably figured me out
Figured that the opening was the beginning
Of my growth in not only understanding
But in appreciation
So, thank you for being kind, compassionate
For being so very genuine

Exhale to the truth

Let me bring that past beginning
To the present enlightened gratitude

It's over
It will always be over
And
I'm grateful for your genuine love
I will always be grateful

Remember to breath

Now that I know
How wrong I was
To not say thank you
I'll put it into words

Whether those words be in ink
Or in type on the screen
You hold in that hand
That once held my heart
And so graciously gave it back intact

These words will be here
These words will cascade
Across the reader's lips
In rhythm with the heartbeat
You empowered

We never had Paris
But we'll always have
What was so very real

The beginning and end both in the past

No comments:

Post a Comment